Gear & Equipment
At Sabaya Tours we know that your chances of reaching the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro are greatly enhanced if you invest in the right climbing gear; with this in mind, we have compiled a list of critical items that you should acquire before starting the climb.
We understand that the costs of committing to a Kilimanjaro climb are already significant even before factoring in the costs of mountain clothing and gear, so we recommend that you rent most of these items from us instead of buying them.
Gear or equipment that can be rented:
- Walking poles
- Sleeping bag
- Waterproof jacket
- Waterproof trousers
- Sleeping bag (rated minus 10 degrees centigrade or lower)
Note: You do not need to buy, rent or pack the following items; we provide them for you:
- Sleeping mattress
- First aid kit
Gear, equipment, and essentials that you need to buy or pack
- Large Rucksack or Holdall (70-90 Litres)
- Daysack (for carrying valuables and essentials such as creams and cameras)
- Waterproof rucksack liners
- T-shirts or vests (sweat-wicking)
- Insulated down jacket
- Lightweight walking trousers – preferably tracksuit bottoms (avoid jeans or heavy cotton)
- Fleece jacket
- Underwear (light and loose; preferably briefs)
- Sports Bra (women)
- Quality hiking socks
- Lightweight waterproof trousers and jacket
- Waterproof walking boots(sturdy and well worn in ) – it is important that your boots have good ankle and arch support.
- Thermal long-johns
- Ankle gaiters
- Trainers for evenings
- Balaclava or (Cotton scarf, bandana or dust mask)
- Wide-brimmed hat
- Toothbrush, toothpaste & deodorant
- Travel wipes or similar
- Toilet paper
- Sanitary products
- Lip balm
- Vaseline, to prevent chafing skin and heel friction blisters
- Pack or buy Sunscreen Cream
- Prescriptions / Medication you are currently using – If you have health concerns that can be made worse by high altitude please lets us know.
- See a list of mandatory and recommended vaccines, immunizations and medication before entering Tanzania here.
Other Essentials / Requirements
- A valid passport and a valid visa, resident permit or pass – see entry requirements here.
- An onward or return ticket together with proof of sufficient funds
- Cash (Euros or US Dollars) in small denominations – for local purchases, tipping, and meals.
- Credit Cards
- Valid Travel Insurance Documents
- Vaccination documents – see a list of mandatory and recommended vaccines, immunizations and medication here.